Focal length for visual sessions

Hi guys

Last night I finally got outside with my scope for a visual session as my camera is out being repaired. I have a c9.25 which is F10 and for the more local stuff its great, last night I could see the cloud bands on Saturn changing... Wow. DSOs tend to be a bit fainter, admittedly I am in south London so the view ain't great.

When I am attempting AP though I always stick the f6/3 reducer on it for DSO but it occurred last night after packing away would that help visual observing of DSO as well, normally I just try it but who knows when I'll get out again.

Cheers

You can use the reducer for visual, getting the distance right from the EP to the lens is key though. You might need to play about with various adapters and spacers until you get the space just right, otherwise focussing will become difficult or impossible...

I use a 6.3 reducer, mostly for guiding but sometimes just pop in an EP to look.

Cheers

Archived