NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Losmandy GM-8 or Vixen GPD2

I love my easy to use Giro alt az mount but wish sometimes for a better observation platform for higher powered views.

I still like to move the scope manual as well and it seem these two mounts might be the best choice for my Tak 102: the Vixen GPD2 with slow mo controls and motors or the Losmandy GM-8 with its unique clutch system that allows to grab the scope scope while tracking and move it on to the next target .

With the Losmandy costing 3 times as much as the Vixen will it be worth it.

I have no plans for ap but dont want to rule out a snapshot now and then.

Thanks

Andre

I've used the Losmandy Gemini extensively with a Celstron C-11 - extremely stable, terrifically easy to use - upgradable to GOTO - easy to break down and transport. Tracking is wonderfully smooth!

Highly recommended. The only reason I went with a Celestron Pro mount instead was the weight limit - too low for my bigger scope.

Dan

I have had a GM8 and G11. The Gemini goto system (there's now a new version and new motors and gearboxes if you are considering used vs new) is very good and easy to use. But you cannot take advantage of hand moving the mount if using Gemini system as with it the clutches have to be fully tightened. If you hand move you need to realign.

Thanks for the info, i understood somehow that the encoders would pick up your manual movement and the tracking motor kick in again when you let go. Somewhat like the new Skywatcher goto dobs.

That would take one advantage from the GM for me.

From memory, if you have digital setting circles fitted (with dsc computer) instead of Gemini goto these can be used with the clutches not fully tightened. Digital Setting Circles are not of the same accuracy as Gemini but with hand slewing can be pretty quick. I have used them with an Alt Az and a small scope and found a lot of Messier objects very quickly. With the GM8 once found the system would then track.

I'm going to upset people and say that I think the GM8 is mediochre and ridiculously expensive. Much better mounts now exist at far lower prices. Unless it has had a major redesign since the last one I saw it has motors on the outside which can collide with the payload and the whole thing is poor in terms of stability. It is an old design full of afterthought additions. Give me an NEQ6 any day. Sorry!

Olly

Archived