Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Accurately setting the Home/parked position on an EQ mount

pwalsh61

Those of you who own an EQ5 (either manual or SynScan/upgraded) will be aware that the setting circles leave a lot to be desired -especially when compared with those of an HEQ or NEQ mount.

Part of setting up a SynScan mount involves setting the "Home" position to which the scope+mount are parked at the end of a session. This is so that the SynScan has a known starting point for the next session. The more accurately this position can be set, the better. There's an extremely useful set of video tutorials on YouTube accessible via Astronomy Shed which show the setting up of an equatorial (actually, an HEQ6) mount. Inspired by the method used in part 1 of the "Complete setup A to Z" tutorial, I've devised a method to accurately set "Home" on any SynScan mount, be it EQ3-2+upgrade, HEQ6 or anything in between. I've posted it on my infrequent blog Here

for anyone who's interested and have attached a PDF.

Please feel free to comment/advise as appropriate.

EQ5-Home.pdf

Archived