Eq mount question.

I have just been reading a first light report by Keano and he has raised an interesting point I would also like answered.

When looking South does it matter which side the OTA is to the mount.

I ask this because I use my own home made motor drive system and if I keep the tube on the right hand side of the mount I know that to go further south all inputs will remain on the + side.

Nice point Keano

thanks

graham

The side on which the OTA sits on the mount will depend on which side your object is of the meridian.

Having said that I think this applies to using GoTo's to slew to objects. I'm no expert but I think you can manually slew to an object and put the OTA on which ever side you wish. But, as I said, Im no expert.

Digz right - it doesn't make a heap of difference on a manual driven mount with slo mo controls. With a goto though you usually balance the mount such that the drive cogs push the ota constantly against gravity due to slight disengagement when you flip over 180 degrees in any direction. This can be critical when doing long exposure photography and want to keep the image constantly in the same place on the chip :)

I would suggest if you image, or observe an object east of your local meridian, the ota is best positioned on the west side of the mount, and vice versa if imaging or viewing east of the meridian.

If an imager is tracking an image close to the local meridian, and he is using EQMOD to control the system, and if the operation is selected, a meridian flip can be introduced automatically by the software. For observers, it's a matter of personal choice really.

Ron.

Archived