NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheapo DSLR?

Ags

If I was to get a cheap (and I mean cheeeeeeep!) DSLR for general use, which ones have some slight potential for AP and in particular narrowband AP? I don't know anything about DSLRs but I have heard that they are insensitive to far red light unless they get modded, which I wouldn't do.

Personally I would consider the 1000D as the basic camera for AP work. It's been superceded by 1100D now but you might find a 1000D at a reasonable price now the 1100D is out.

If you go for an older model you will be limited in what is achievable for AP and general use.

I just picked up a canon 450D body from a certain online auction site at what I feel a good price, under £250. Good camera and a good price, never rule out that option.

I guess if you look hard enough you could find something a bit chirpier.

According to my favorite search engine, the 1000D could cost approx 350GBP new - that's pretty much in my price range!

Did I read somewhere that the 1000D was quite sensitive in red?

I suppose after I've bought it I then start spending money on lenses!

I picked up a secondhand Canon 400D, with 18-55mm standard lens, case, two batteries and charger for £240 from a local photographic shop which does me fine for day to day use and astro work

Archived