EP construction question

I noticed on some of my EP's that the bottom part seems to thread into the body of the EP and can be removed. I havent dared to take them out though. I only noticed this because one of the untis I ordered (Celestron 8mm - 24mm Zoom) arrived with the bottom portion just slightly tight and the body began to thread off when I tried to zoom with the EP secured in the sight. Is there any reason (maintenance or other) why the bottom portion of the EP would need to be removed? Should they remain just secured as received, should I tighten them up? Will it dmage anything if I do?

I would just do them up "good finger tight". The lower bit comes off most eyepieces as the lower lens holder is held on the same thread (usually) - that should not be undone unless you know how to reassemble it properly!

A second reason is that it allows other "standard sizes" of eyepiece tube to be used.

With some cheaper eyepieces the tube you mention MAY hold the lower lens element in! So be careful.

Thanks for the information. You wouldnt happen to know if that is the case with Orion or Celestrion EP's would you? (Holding the lower lens element in place).

So if I understand correctly you are saying that down the road if I were to upgrade to a scope with a 2" sight I could thread a 2" adapter in place onto a originally 1.25" EP?

With some Televue eyepieces, the chrome barrel also holds the lens elements in

place. TV include a paper slip with those eyepieces to that effect. Removing

the chrome barrel could result in a heap of lens elements on the floor with those

eyepieces, guaranteed to spoil your day !

Regards, Ed.

It all depends on the specific eyepiece you are talking about. If you undo the tube a little and you can hear the lens rattling - do it up again quick!

My comment about sizes really referred to eyepieces being manufactured in different sizes. If you want to put a 1.25" eyepiece in a 2" focusser you can buy (quite cheaply) simple adaptors to do that.

Archived