Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrades to Orion XT8

SoulFrenzy

I can't really upgrade to a new scope anytime in the see-able future, but what I can do is upgrade and add to the scope I have now. What would be some good upgrades and changes I could make to my scope now?

I have an Orion XT8 classic Dobsonian scope. It performs excellent and I have zero complaints. I have the basic 25mm plossl that came with the scope and a basic Celestron plossl eye piece kit. The kit includes a 6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 32mm, and a 2x Barlow lens. I know there are upgrades to different lenses. I've been researching different lenses and brands. I really haven't settled on anything in particular yet.

I do live in what would be considered a moderately LP area. I can make out some galaxies from my front yard, for example M51 is barely viable as a faint faint fuzzy. I have to pay close attention to spot it. I know there are filters that claim to help in LP areas, are these worth a good look and possibly purchase one?

I am enjoying astronomy very much and I am combating "aperture fever" haha, but I like to tinker around and upgrade as I can. I am new to the hobby and I am learning as much as I can as fast as I can but I still have a very limited knowledge. Forgive me if my questions seem elementary but I'm trying. :-)

And after some though on a boring day at work.... Is there anyway to put the optical tube on a different mount if I wanted? It has two knobs on either side of the tube for the dob mount but I suppose I could take those off if needed.

Archived