NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which camera/scope combo for solar system imaging?

Whippy

I've had a couple of sessions doing solar (white light) and lunar imaging with a webcam and I really enjoyed it, certainly less time consuming than DSO work that's for sure! So much so that I'm mulling over whether do have a season just imaging/observing solar system objects with a high framerate camera.

I'm think I'll have a rough budget of £750(ish) for a camera and OTA, secondhand isn't an issue either :). I'm guessing a Mak Cass/SCT is in order and something like a DMK camera.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Tony..

I use a Lunt Ha scope which is over budget but I bought a second hand DMK21 on here for about 150 pounds, from memory, and of all the astro electronics I own this is the bomb proof, no messing, works every time, rock solid delight.

Olly

A Ha solar scope is for another time Olly although it's on the wish list! I was just going to get a sheet of Baader paper and just go for the sunspots for now... I'm probably looking at a Skymax 150 or 180 but if there's a Russian MCT going, I'm very interested!

The DMK is probably the most likely suspect but cameras such as the Flea, Lumenera and Basler Ace look interesting too..

Tony..

Cheapest price I could find

DVC machinevision B.V.

plus a 150 mak and capture software? email riklaunim as he uses the Basler.

Alternatively there's the board cam version of the Lu 070 ( like my last cam) available via AB&S from time to time BUT !! waiting for a Lucam recorder license from Heiko Wilkins appears to be like pulling hens teeth of a job:( Easier to find a DMK 21

I presume you'd be going mono plus filters ?

PS if you do import just remember you only pay VAT -no duty !!!

so 379 Euros = 334.697691 British pounds plus 20% but then add in cost of Gig required peripherals

Cheers Karlo, you're a diamond :). That's the Ace with the 618 chip I see, looks good! And I've just spotted that sharpcap supports Basler cams..... I've got a couple of laptops with Gigabit ethernet built in, will this do the job or am I needing an external card to make sure?

Mono, definately :). I've got a set of baader filters already plus IR cut so plenty to think about!

Tony..

I am struggling to get anything sharp out of my Skymax 127 :) I don't yet know if it is a collimation/old optics issue or if I am doing something wrong or if I am just expecting too much of the little thing?

Are Maks supposed to be good for solar work? Does the thick meniscus cause any issue? I guess you need to leave it to 'warm up' in the sun in the same way you 'cool down' for night time observation???

Tony, if it has Gig e built in I can't see any reason why you'd need owt else except power, either via a HIROSE cable or POE, but email them at DVC, they're like most Dutch fluent in English and are happy to answer Q's

RikMcrae:- I'm guessing maybe your scope needs to have it's collimation checked via a startest but having seen what James ( AztecastroMcJ ) has achieved this yr with his 127, it packs a helluva punch. As for "warming up" I guess , the idea is to reach thermal equilibrium, which ever way that means re the scope and optics

Now that last one is interesting! USB2, 618 chip and a ST4 port for guiding.. I wonder if it'll work with PHD? Only one way to find out...

Thanks again Karlo, top drawer :).

Tony..

EDIT: Ascom drivers = guide cam!

I really should have looked further down the page, there's images of it working with PHD! I've emailed them to ask if they ship over here. Could be onto a winner :).

Tony..

Archived