Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iPad and StarShoot webcam?

Durante

Hello all,

I’m new to this forum and recently got back into astronomy after a several year hiatus. I’ve got a Celestron 6SE and recently bought an Orion StarShoot IV webcam. I’m still trying to figure out how to use the webcam properly in terms of focusing, tracking….and finding various objects with goto (no issue with the Moon as it’s hard to miss), but that’s a different story.

Given that i live in London I have to travel to use my new toys properly, which isn’t an issue for the telescope but carrying a laptop too is a bit of a pain. My question to the forum is whether anyone has had any success (if it’s possible) using an iPad hooked up to the webcam for the observing sessions?

Just thinking about portability etc and this might be a use for the iPad...

Thanks in advance for any input,

Durante

Apple, from memory, changed iOS to protect against devices drawing more than 20mA from the port as the iPad isn't designed to provide the standard 500mA ("it's not a USB port").

Hello Durante,

I have an iPad. It does NOT have a USB port. In order to connect a camera via USB, one must purchase an adapter that fits the power port on the iPad; however, the iPad does not have sufficient power to drive anything that is not self-powered (such as a camera). This is but one of many of my disappointments with the iPad.

I think it telling that the corporate insignia is an apple from which a bite is missing, taken by someone who made, I suppose. Quite an exemplar of the Steve Jobs, Apple mindset - sell an apple from which we've already taken a bite, depriving you of that extra bit. I'm just sayin' . . . .

A netbook computer would be a much better choice, IMO. It provides a form factor very near that of an iPad but with much greater functionality and capacity. They can be had much less expensively as well. Previously owned ones can sometimes be had for a song.

HTH

• 10 months later...

Archived