First set-up..

Hey all,

I am planning to buy my first set-up, at the minute I am looking at the following:

HEQ-5 syntrek Mount

Canon 1000D

Webcam (The philips one)

But I am struggling to decide on the scope I would like to remain fairly portable, my budget is between 300-400. I would like something that is an all rounder, so have been looking at the Celestron 127 MAK but I would just like to know whether there is anything better?

Many Thanks :)

I think it depends on what you are looking to do with it... It sounds like you want to image with it, and if thats the case, then the MAK it may not the right scope. You will need a Focal Reducer for it.

I just bought the Celestron 127 SLT the other week and thus far it is doing really great. I am a newbie so cannot give any real advice apart from my own limited experience of the scope which is it is compact, reasonably powerful, easy to transport around and easy to set up.

On the downside my time outside since I got it has been limited due to the weather and cloud that decended the moment it arrived. I am certain that it will do great once I have had a chance to really get to grips with it.

I think Planetary and Lunar will be fine with out as they are bright, but DSO's will need a FR... If you are not thinking of doing any type of DSO imaging, then you will not need the DSLR.

Only other proble with MAKs are cool down time.

I have used a SW 127, and to be fair, they are great scopes.

Have look at the Celestron Omni 127, its a SCT with an f ratio of 10, the Mak is 11.8. That puts the SCT more in the middle ground between planetary and DSO use.

You will still need a focal reducer for DSO imaging, and conversely a Barlow for planets.

The Mak has quite a good reputation and large following of happy users, the SCT never seems to get mentioned so its hard to get a feel for how good it is.

Your real problem is I dont consider there is an all rounder, thats why I, like most people, have more than one scope!

Regards

Barry

It depends what you want to do and what your interests are. Visual observing, imaging, a mixture, solar system, deep space ?

If you're wanting to do lunar and planetary imaging then a slow 'scope like a Mak or SCT (f/10 or higher) with a web-cam is a common solution. If DSO work is where you want to go, then something like a fast refractor or reflector (f/6 or lower) together with a DSLR is the usual recommendation.

Whatever you wish to do, I really recommend that you read Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf). If you haven't already got it, of course :p

Easy to read, it's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, explaining what kit you'll need and (more importantly) why - helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's also loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too, They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

HTH :)

I wouldn't touch either the Mak or the SCT for deep sky imaging with the 1000D. They are far too slow. OK, the SCT with reducer would come down to F6-point-something depending on chip spacing but that still gives a long focal length for first steps in tracking/autoguiding. There are also serious issues with finding focus using the standard moving mirror. An aftermarket focuser is the usual solution.

The easiest for imaging is a small fast apo refractor but visually they are very limited. A SW Newtonian, however, would give you aperture for visual use and fast f ratio/reasonable focal length for DS imaging. With a barlow or two or a Powermate the Newt will do fine with a planetary webcam as well.

For first steps in AP, just using camera lenses is good because the short FL means no real issues from a tracking point of view. (The longer your FL, the better your tracking/autoguiding have to be.)

Steve's book? Yes for sure!

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived