Bausch & Lomb 6000 Questions

Hi All,

I am new to astronomy, been wanting to get in to it for years but only just managed to nab myself a telescope at a price I can afford, I have got my hands on a Bausch & Lomb 6000, it came with a tracker and a few EP's (all original B&L ASP and a B&L x2 Barlow) and a rediculously heavy tripod, which is good, and bad!! ;)

I have looked at saturn and the moon so far and It look's ok but not quite as good as I expected for a 6", and this isnt due to overly high expectaions, the focus never seems to 100% get there, more so at higher magnification. I have read up on collimation for a SCT and im fairly confident it will be easy for me to do, just need the clouds to go away so I can give it a go!! Im also not sure if the EP's I have are any good!

My questions are:

1. do you think collimation will improve the views? the telescope had been stored away for 10 years before I got it so hasn't had any maintainance for at least that long. or do you think its the EP's?

2. Is there any other things I should check to make sure my scope is running as well as it can be? other than the collimation.

3. I didnt get a manual with the telescope, any idea where I can get one from? B&L still exist but I doubt they will help as they only deal with contact lenses and the such now.

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry if this has been asked before.

Jay.

Thanks for the info John, I can only see the 4000 and 8000/8001 listed, im assuming the 4000 is the same just smaller. I have heard the B&L 6000 is quite rare, might be why im having trouble finding decent info on it ;)

Archived