Help with first telescope purchase

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly right guys, they are not getting stock till 1st week of May but that's just next week, postage is included and the £40+ difference will buy a nice extra eyepiece so I am happy to wait a little longer. I'll let you know if it all works out.

Paul

Its always worth getting the cheapest selling place of that telescope if you are buying first hand. You obviously get everything the same, just with more money to spend on say a better eyepiece :D

The first decision I would make among the variety that have been on offer to you so far, is whether you want an EQ mount (option of fitting a tracking motor) or a dobsonian which requires you to nudge as you you view. The unfortunate thing, your budget requires you not only to make this choice (which would be easy) but as the options stand, you are also having to trade aperture as part of this deal. I will hold my hand up and say that dobs don't appeal to me BUT the whole point of observing is about what you see and for me, aperture comes first. It doesn't matter how you get to the target, whether it is nudging, or using alt-azimuth, equatorial or full blown GOTO, if you are disappointed by what you see, or feel there might have been a little bit more detail had you gone for the 200P, you will eventually be disappointed with what you chose. It sounds as if your recent viewing experience didn't show you any scopes that might have offered you a comparison between the two apertures here under consideration.

For me, I would have the dob, you can always put rings round it at a later date and put it on an equatorial mount (HEQ5). The thinking here is that if you go for the 150P, you will at some point want to get a bigger scope, probably with an 8" aperture, so that mans a change in scope AND you'll have to change the mount as well. Follow the dob route, well you already got the scope so your only future upgrade will be the mount but you get to enjoy the views of an 8" from the word go. Now the only snag is that retailers are currently out of stock of these at the moment but you have to ask the question why they are so popular, what is it that they show that everyone wants to see!

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the advice. I think for ease of storage the 150 may well be better however has anyone got any images of objects seen with the various scopes which have been recommended

Taken with my phone pressed against the 25mm eyepeice of the 150pl..

Just like to add this is a great scope, its hold collimation brilliantly. I have adjusted collimation only once, and that was when it first came out the box, and I often take it to a dark place in the car..

Good luck in chosing your scope, I think everyone here has been at this particular crossroads your at now, I know I have!!

Have fun...

post-18998-133877598771_thumb.jpg

Taken with my phone pressed against the 25mm eyepeice of the 150pl..

Just like to add this is a great scope, its hold collimation brilliantly. I have adjusted collimation only once, and that was when it first came out the box, and I often take it to a dark place in the car..

Good luck in chosing your scope, I think everyone here has been at this particular crossroads your at now, I know I have!!

Have fun...

That is a great a focal picture, I would be proud of that :)

Archived