NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What target to test new filters and wheel?

dmahon

OK, I finally pressed the BUY button for my filterwheel and LRGB filters to go with my mono CCD. That's it now, I've told my wife - I've spent enough in the six months since I started this hobby to buy a new small car, and as I am hoping to buy a house in the very near future, what I have will have to do me for the rest of this year (apart, perhaps, from some narrowband filters and just maybe, an obervatory build).

So, if the weather holds after the filters and wheel arrive (fat chance), what is a good target to get the most out of the colours? I have good views to the North, South and East, but poor views to the West (from SW to N) blow 45 degrees.

M81 / M82, M51 both high up and great galaxies with lovely colour ranges to play with.

NGC4631 Whale Galaxy for a real test, high East through to SW currently

Later on in the night, NGC7000 North American or M57 ring Nebula rising East to South.

Soon will be M27 Dumbbell. Excellent for colour and nice and big.

A few nice ones to try out.

Archived