SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Home Made Pier

Damo636

If you have power cables you could thread them through the hole and out the bottom so they don't get in the way. I'm going to see my old boss at a steel fabrication workshop and hopefully get the materials for a pier like yours, it's a very good design.Thanks.

Good idea Adamski and thanks for the compliment. There is a massive saving to be had by building your own pier. I would have liked one of those lovely Altair observatory pier's but at £495 ;), i thought i'd pass. Good luck with your build and don't forget to upload pic

Damo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought i'd upload a few pics of the finished job. I had to redo the top plates as i didn't allow enough room between the nuts for the pier adapter to fit :hello2: The new plates are 10mm thick for added stability. (Probably more overkill) The pier adapter is an Altair Astro part i picked up used on Astro Buy & Sell. The machine shop part didn't work out (whole other story) but at least no money changed hands. All in all i'm very pleased with the end product. Its rock steady and all for less than £100 including the pier adapter. Next will be the decking or maybe some paving around it. :D

post-24496-133877624856_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877624865_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877624874_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877624881_thumb.jpg

Archived