Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Difference between apparent magnitude and visual magnitude

Hello everybody, could i ask help from you guys? What is the difference between apparent magnitude and visual magnitude? From other internet articles, visual magnitude is always having same meaning with apparent magnitude. By the way, they have different name...

Some stars are very bright in ultraviolet or infrared - non-visual wavelengths. For example, the stars in the middle of planetary nebulae are bright enough in UV to make the whole nebula glow, but visually they are very faint. So visual magnitude describes how bright an object is in just the small section of the spectrum our eyes are sensistive to.

Apparent magnitude is how bright a star appears to be in the sky, from Earth. Obviously all stars are at different distances which affects their apparent brightness.

Absolute magnitude is how bright the star would be if it was a standard distance (10 parsecs) away from Earth.

Welcome to the forum!

One more question here, apparent magnitude is defined as a measure of celestial body's brightness as seen by an observer on Earth, normalized to the value it would have in the absence of the atmosphere.

Then for visual magnitude of full moon, does it affect by atmosphere? If i consider visual magnitude of full moon as the brightness of full moon observed from earth, do i need to make atmospheric extinction correction?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Archived