Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orion Optics (UK) f4.5 8" Newtonian - First Light.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

zanes

zanes

Nebula

• New Members
  • 35 posts
I'll be looking forward to that comparison!
Orion Optics 8" f/6 Europa, 1/8pv optics, 10:1 focuser

philsail1

philsail1

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,838 posts
Hello "Zanes,"

I did a full comparison test between the Orion 8" and Skywatcher 8" Newtonians - as I decided to sell one of the scopes some weeks ago, and I wanted to ensure that I kept the "best" scope.

The comparison tests were conducted over a period of several days - as the weather this summer has not been consistant!

Without going into copious detail of the various eyepieces I used, and targets I looked at, the end result was that the Orion (despite the claims that it's mirror would be far superior to the Skywatcher's) only just came out on top, having a fractionally wider field of view than the Skywatcher's mirror. Of course the wider field of view meant that the magnifacation was lower in the Orion when comparing the same eyepiece between both scopes.

Both scopes showed objects equally as sharp and clear (to my eyes anyway!).

The final decider was only that the Orion scope is lighter in weight and shorter in body length than the Skywatcher, making the Orion scope a little easier to carry and set up - and this scope will sit nicely on a Celestron C5 mount. (which I have mine on at present).

I think that anyone starting out in astronomy would certainly obtain a better bargain (or bang for your buck!) in buying a Skywatcher 8" on a HEQ5 mount. You do get much more for your money - and the Skywatcher 8" is an excellent instrument. I only went for the Orion scope on the strength of the advertising blurb! When one considers that the Orion Scope was £500 for the tube alone, and you can obtain the Skywatcher and mount for quite a bit less, it is clear that the Skywatcher is the better buy.

As you might know, during my selling of the Skywatcher, I acquired a Celestron C8 SCT. This scope was an excellent instrument, and I did fall in love with it. It was much easier to use than the Orion, and gave excellent views of every kind of astro object in the night sky. After several more weeks, I was faced with the same dilemma, of letting one of the scopes go. (as I was trying to reduce my scopes to just one!).

After much testing and discussions on SGL, I eventually (and reluctantly) let the C8 go - again only because the Orion had a wider field of view and was lighter to carry.

During my selling of the C8, I acquired a Skywatcher 127mm Maksutov! This seems to be an excellent little scope - which again is very good value if anyone is starting out in looking for a good SCT to start off with.

I will keep this scope as I'm hoping to use it for "grab and go" astronomy. All I need now is a suitable "grab-and-go" mount for it!!

It is so difficult to reduce ones "kit" to one instrument!!

I think you will be pleased with your 8" Orion f4.5 Newtonian when you get it.

Regards,

philsail1
"Even when cloud cover was 100%, Phil was still able to use his 8" mirror!" :icon_confused:

Orion (UK) Europa 200mm (f4.5) Newtonian Reflector
Skywatcher 127mm Maksutov.
Opticron 8x42 Binoculars.
Opticron 8x40 "Aspheric" Binoculars.
Canon A570IS Digital Camera.
Sony H1 Digital Camera

zanes

zanes

Nebula

• New Members
  • 35 posts
I've actually got the f/6 on order.

I assume the skywatcher was also f4.5? That is not the result I was hoping for :)

nitram100

nitram100

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 703 posts
Zanes, don't worry, you'll more than happy with your Orion scope!

Just out of curiousity, how much are you paying for it? Are you getting a mount with it?

I've had my 10" standard optics Europa for nearly 9 years now and it's been amazing, even from my light polluted London garden. I have compared my 10" Europa directly to a 250 Skywatcher dobsonian a few years ago at a dark site and my scope was better, but for the price, the Skywatcher really impressed me.

It's also a nice feeling knowing that your scope was hand made in the UK, wether that justifies spending more on a scope is up to you, but i feel it is worth it.
Orion Optics 10" F4.8
NEQ6 Pro
Celestron 15x70 Skymasters

zanes

zanes

Nebula

• New Members
  • 35 posts
Nitram;

I'm paying the OO "going rate"; over £700 for the scope, with the standard EQ5M (what does the "m" stand for? It's not motorised!) mount, with the optional upgrade to 1/8PV optics and a 10:1 crayford.

I personally like the knowledge that it's me, not the optics screwing things up! I *think* I get a zygo report, as it' sgot the 1/8 upgrade.

philsail1

philsail1

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,838 posts
"Zanes,"

I think the "M" stands for "manual" which means that you will move your scope by hand control knobs on the mount.

"You will enjoy the bright and crystal clear views of everything you observe through your Orion Optics scope."

Regards,

philsail1.
"Even when cloud cover was 100%, Phil was still able to use his 8" mirror!" :icon_confused:

Sony H1 Digital Camera

zanes

zanes

Nebula

• New Members
  • 35 posts
Phil, Cheers, I thought it would be something along those lines

albedo0.39

albedo0.39

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,376 posts
Hi Phil - just caught up with this very interesting thread - thanks for reporting all the ins and outs of your new OO OTA. Of course, we now learn that you're going to sell the Skywatcher, but coming back to the image comparison, was there any discernable difference in splitting double stars ?

Rgds
Steve

Cheltenham, UK
16" f4.5 dobsonian reflector

philsail1

philsail1

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,838 posts
Hello "Albed0.39,"

Both scopes split double stars with ease. The only differences I detected was that the Orion has a bit more "Coma" or distortion at the extreme edges of it's field of view, (but its wider feild of view makes it a bit easier to find things in the night sky). Also, stars in the centre of the field of view do seem to be a little bit sharper - but due to the shorter focal length the magnifications used are lower in the Orion (with any given eyepiece).

Regards,

philsail1

Sony H1 Digital Camera

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,881 posts

I've actually got the f/6 on order.

I assume the skywatcher was also f4.5? That is not the result I was hoping for :(

The Skywatcher was an F/5.

I used to have a Skywatcher 8" dobsonian which was F/6 - it performed extermely well for a £200 scope :D

Please post a report of your OO scope when it arrives :) - do you have a delivery date for it ?.

John

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin (1937-2008)

zanes

zanes

Nebula

• New Members
  • 35 posts
Will do, although I have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully I'll find time to take some piccies and do a bit of a write up. Estimated lead time was about 4 weeks, will be going to the factory to pick it up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users