SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there much difference between the skywatcher 150pand the PDS version? Apart from the dual speed focuser? I missed out big time on a 130pds and can't afford the 150pds so wondered if I could do some basic imaging (DSLR) canon 1000d with the 150p as I found it super cheap and need a new scope real bad as mine had to have it focuser fully cut down so no more focus wheel or anything aha

Thanks

Jason...

If imaging DSO long exposure, then really the PDS is the better option.

You need to "modify" the P variant to get the DSLR to acheive focus by moving the main mirror up the tube I think by about 20mm.

The dual speed focuser is to have a finer degree of control, you could likely get by at first and update it later, there are reasoanble options on the TS site.

I've heard some people can and have achieved focus on the 150p but I am fully fitted both 130pds scopes went from AstroBoot, :( thought I was going to grab a bargain. Dont think my mount will hold a 150 tbh but can get 4 min exposure with my 130 so that's why I want the 130pds more or a smaller scope for imaging. Any ideas on a cheap basic wide field scope?

If imaging DSO long exposure, then really the PDS is the better option.

You need to "modify" the P variant to get the DSLR to acheive focus by moving the main mirror up the tube

No you don't!

This is outdated advice and refered to the old blue tube SkyWatcher Newtonians with the 1.25" rack and pinion focuser. The 150p single speeds produced since 2010 reach focus perfectly well without modification.

There is practically no difference between them. The PDS allows finer focus adjustment, so faster/easier to bring to focus. But in my experience the single speed holds focus better without slipping. I kept the single speed and moved the PDS on.

I've heard some people can and have achieved focus on the 150p but I am fully fitted both 130pds scopes went from AstroBoot, :( thought I was going to grab a bargain. Dont think my mount will hold a 150 tbh but can get 4 min exposure with my 130 so that's why I want the 130pds more or a smaller scope for imaging. Any ideas on a cheap basic wide field scope?

Cheap basic widefield scope = 130pds :)

There isn't really anything to touch it for the price.

Thanks for that rikM I had seen people saying they could achieve focus and some saying they couldn't. AstroBoot had 2 130pds scopes but payday didn't come quick enough and they both went :( so was thinking of getting the 150p as I dont want and can't wait for another 130pds bargain to show up. I'm far to impatient for the waiting game aha

But thanks again for the update on focus.

But both 150p and PDS version do look pretty much the same, same f number and same size and what not. I think I will just go for broke and get the 150p as its only £5 more than the 130pds

Thanks for that rikM I had seen people saying they could achieve focus and some saying they couldn't. AstroBoot had 2 130pds scopes but payday didn't come quick enough and they both went :( so was thinking of getting the 150p as I dont want and can't wait for another 130pds bargain to show up. I'm far to impatient for the waiting game aha

But thanks again for the update on focus.

But both 150p and PDS version do look pretty much the same, same f number and same size and what not. I think I will just go for broke and get the 150p as its only £5 more than the 130pds

What mount are you planning on using? To give you an idea (or maybe put you off :evil6: ) click on the deep sky images link in my sig. Almost all of those have been taken with the standard 150p and either Canon DSLRS or more recently with CCD. Some we're using an unguided EQ3-2 with the cheapo motor drive, newer ones with an NEQ6 and auto guiding.

It will be on my eq3-2 stripped down and greased with lithium grease and also fully loaded the tripod legs with sand, so far I have be able to get 4 min unguided. That's with a very wonky polar alignment aha but I went for the 150p. I dont get to use the scope very often because of lovely British weather and work and all that other rubbish so didn't want to pay a fortune on something that will just sit in the shed for most of its life :) but thanks for the advice, I still enjoy viewing so I'm not looking for a full imaging set up, just something to dabble in when I have a few spare hours and a clear sky.

Archived