Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron ep vs BST

barry f

Been looking to add some more EP's to the 2 i already have and want to know which brand is comaperable to what i already have. i have the standard 25mm that came with my Nexstar 6se and i also have a celestron 12mm ex-cell but want to ad some more ? i am pleased with the celestrons so far but looking here there is alot to be said about the BST. also do i need a 3x or will a 2x barlow be sufficent . we (wife and i) will be doing both planetry and deeper space so hence the questions .

on a flip side of this with the scope i have if i used via my pc would that be better so as we can both view at the same time?

thanks

Generally there is said to be very little difference in performance between the X-Cel and the BST's. And which one is "best" is often personel preference about some aspcet or other. The main difference in the UK is cost, £49 as opposed to £59, (in the US they are about $2 difference).

If planetary is what you intend then the X-Cels are I suggest a better option.

Planetary often means magnification adn the steps in the BST's are 5mm, 8mm then 12mm.

In the X-Cels you have 5mm, 7mm, 9mm then 12mm - just a slightly better selection at the lower focal lengths, for the 6SE I suggest forgetting the 5mm.

But the X-Cel's cost more.

Archived