Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

have skywatcher 130 (spherical) possible upgrade?

I have the 130mm spherical (skywatcher) on an eq 2 mount, a very sticky eq2 mount I might add.

Anyway I was looking at the skywatcher 150p on the eq 3-2 mount, would this be a nice beginner upgrade? And could I expect to get some nicer detail for when I've got the webcam in?

I'm not really interested in DSO at the moment, just Luna and planetary.

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure is the answer from me.

The extra aperture is nice but it is only a 33% increase. and it is often said that to appreciate the increase you should double the area. So brighter but not the increase you may consider useful.

As to use on planets and Lunar more difficult.

The 130 is I think a 900mm focal length, the 150 on the EQ3-2 will be 650mm, so actually less magnification with the same eyepiece. The 150P as used on the dobsonian mount would have been better for the use you give, just the complete wrong mount.

As to the imaging with webcam then it is not uncommon to add a barlow to increase the image size and again the 150P will be delivering a smaller image now. So you will to an extent be adding a "barlow" (very small mag one) to the 150 to get an image that same size as the 130 without.

The EQ3-2 will be more stable then the EQ2, that much is for sure. However for imaging even the EQ3-2 is considered lightweight and so a jump again to EQ5 could be anticipated.

I think the problem is that yes the 150P and EQ3-2 are an improvement over the 130 adn the EQ2 but perhaps not by as much as would be ideal and you could end up looking to upgrade again in a short time. In which case collect the money and do that bigger jump.

Hence the not sure.

One of my speakers and just ceased making a noise! :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Your detailed response will give me plenty to think about!!! I will consider getting s good solid mount that will last me longer as I don't want to upgrade then upgrade again. Would and eq5 hold say an 8" scope? I would like to get a 8" then stop at that, don't really have room for anything bigger at the moment.

Thanks for the advice and thought provoking comment!!

Archived