NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iOptron Cube Pro - Acceptable Noise?

Matt Steele

Dear All

I recently purchased a used iOptron Cube Pro mount to be used with my Lunt 35mm solar 'scope and, later, with a deforked ETX 90 OTA.  Despite the flimsey tripod I'm quite fond of it.

My question is, what level of noise should I expect to hear when the mount is tracking?  Presently, it sounds like a coffee grinder when slewing (not as bad as my ETX, though!), but when tracking it does make a 'scratching' and 'squeaking' noise - again, not unlike the ETX but quieter.

Is this description of noise 'normal' for a Cube Pro, or am I looking at having to make some mods?  Bearing in mind its size, is it more a case of managing my expectations better?

Any advice/comments are gratefully received.

Matt S

I have the Ioptron MT II which is essentially the same workings as the MT Pro. Mine is very quiet when tracking it softly hums as the two motors pick up and drop off.

Very quiet almost have to put my ear to the case. Not too sure of the cube pro but I wouldn't expect it to be noisy. Maybe someone who has one can comment.

Does not sound as if it is correct, cannot reacll posts about noise on the iOptron mounts.

The Pro has the metal gears which may make a bit more noise - one of the smaller and earlier models had plastic, but I think that was upgraded to metal at some time.

Suspect that it is a cse of the gears are set wrong, maybe too tight.

If someone has decided there appears too much "slop" it is very easy to get carried away and over do the adjustment.

No idea how easy it is to access the mechanics, but if simple it may be worth to at least have a look.

Archived