SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The rising Moon video.

Altitude

I could not resist to record the rising of the moon from my backyard. I watched it the night before and thought I should try to capture it the next night on video.

It was hard to get the first minute of the rise on record since there were nothing to set the exposure and focus on. By the time I got it all set and aligned the moon was already half way over the hills.

The video was shot with two eyepieces of 20mm and 15mm respectively. iPhone was used as a "camera". The scope is 6" Newtonian Celestrone.

Thanks,

I was trying to capture the rise from the very beginning. The view with just a naked eye was spectacular. First, you can see a halo behind the hills, outlining the landscape contours. It was getting brighter and brighter, exactly like the sunrise. Then, when the first part of the moon started to show, it almost look like fire. Unfortunately all of this my phone could not "see" untill enough light was delivered to its sensors to adjust exposure and focus. By the time it was ready to film, half of the "show" was already in progress.

As you noticed, the atmospheric turbulence is interfiering with quality of the video. I know it's just a phone, but still could be better with more clear "stable" view. I think not much I can do with that. Living in Southern California it's a reality... Clear skies, but light polution and heat.

Archived