Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar102SLT- What else do I need?

outofsight

I purchased this scope as a gift. Is there anything else I should get to make it complete?

The (660mm FL) scope came with a 25mm lens and a 9mm lens. Should I get a barlow? Planet filter set? Light reduction filter?

I really wanted to get a filter to look at the sun (I always thought it was interesting), but I am having trouble finding one.

Any suggestions would be welcome. including a good vender.

Any opinions on this scope?

Here is a link for some Baader Solar film so you can make a solar filter.  A 2x Barlow would be a good idea, others here will let you know which Barlow works best with that scope, I would imagine a 2x shortie?

You will need a way of powering it, so either make some kind of mains set up or buy a jump starter kit or other battery pack.

Very often people just make their own solar filter, but check out the retailers in the US as one may supply the Astrozap range that you can fit to the front and secure.

Other items really depends on how much you intend to spend, The 25mm should be OK but the 9mm may be poor.

They will I believe be MA's and not plossl's.

The scope is I guess f/6.5 or there abouts.

If wanted then maybe 2 or 3 plossls???

If you keep the 25mm then a 6mm to 8mm plossl for a little magnification and say a 12mm to 15mm plossl for mid power.

Try the Astro-Tech value plossls, they also do a hi-spec variant if you to outlay a bit more.

A moon filter could be useful.

After that leve it until you have a better idea of what you actually look at, then gets items to suit.

I cannot work out if the scope is for you or for someone else. It makes a slight difference. I have half assumed that the scope is for someone else?

Archived