Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The bins in the wind

Scooot

I have a bit of a cold and it's blowing hoolie so I nipped out with the bins instead of the scope not long ago.

I started with Mirach, there was no mistaking the golden dot, and tilted my head back, passing mu Andromeda until M31 came easily into view.

I've never really seen m33 from home so I thought I'd have look for that. After consulting my phone to refresh myself of its exact whereabouts I looked above for Triangulum. I could just about make out the 2 easterly stars with the naked eye but it took me a while to pinpoint it with the 10x50s as the magnification separated them more than I was expecting. I then spent a while staring just north west of it and to my surprise a very faint patch gradually became visible. So faint I wasn't sure at first but yes that was it, M33, quite large and more prominent with averted image. Quite pleased I got this.

Then facing east I panned up towards Auriga and picked out the three main star clusters. Had a nice long look at M45 that was framed so well in the bins. Aldebaran poking out above my neighbours conifers and through the bins a mass of stars shone through around it.

And that was it, a quick grab and go session in the wind without properly wrapping up.

Lovely report, Richard and thank you for posting. I've found M 33 and M 74 to some extent quite tricky. I have found that many galaxies reveal themselves pretty much on the first serious sitting and when you return to them, not a great deal more can be tweaked, but I find that these two will sometimes show themselves well, other times not. So, if you get a chance, on another clear and crisp night, head back and check on them again.

I've also found that M 33 is quite friendly to a UHC-S filter. It's not worth buying one just for M 33, but if you have one or something similar in your kit, give it a try with your 10". I guess it is due to the numerous HII regions in the galaxy which help highlight its arms and that strange, almost disconnected blob to its east.

Anyway, thanks for a great read and look forward to more :grin:

Good idea to grab the bins, Scoot, given those high winds there wasn't much point getting the scopes out.  However, it was nice and clear with the passing of the storm and bins are great for that 'no strings attached' quick look outside.   Always nice to see M33, but as Qualia says, it can be hit and miss (more miss in my case!).  I'll have to try the UHC on M33 next time, thanks for the tip, Qualia!

Lovely report, Richard and thank you for posting. I've found M 33 and M 74 to some extent quite tricky. I have found that many galaxies reveal themselves pretty much on the first serious sitting and when you return to them, not a great deal more can be tweaked, but I find that these two will sometimes show themselves well, other times not. So, if you get a chance, on another clear and crisp night, head back and check on them again.

I've also found that M 33 is quite friendly to a UHC-S filter. It's not worth buying one just for M 33, but if you have one or something similar in your kit, give it a try with your 10". I guess it is due to the numerous HII regions in the galaxy which help highlight its arms and that strange, almost disconnected blob to its east.

Anyway, thanks for a great read and look forward to more :grin:

Just had another look at m33 with the scope. It was reasonably easy with the 26mm nagler, unfortunately the view wasn't anything like your sketch but it was much easier than with the bins. Although It was at 65° tonight so a darker sky. I also saw it with the 17.3mm with the UHC so thanks for the advice, although to be honest I preferred it without tonight, couldn't try the filter with the nagler as it's a 1.25".

Archived