Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any volunteers to try processing my widefields?

Hi folks,

Thanks for dropping in to this post!  :icon_salut:

Having received some very helpful tips on how to get DSS to work (pretty much user error on my part, as I suspected!) I now have 3 separate tiff files of my stacked, widefield data...but no processing software...or knowledge of how to use that processing software even if I had it!  :grin:  I'm sure there's some reasonable (well, useable at least) data in there, so I'd love to know what more experienced hands could do with it.

So, would anyone like to have a go for me?  Here are brief descriptions and a jpg version of the best I could get out of the data using only the sliders in DSS, so you know roughly what you'd be playing with:

File 1: 

Widefield of Cassiopeia from fairly dark Cornish skies, Canon 1100d, 18-55mm lens @ 18mm.  Stack of 70 x 30 second lights, 60 equivalent darks, all at ISO 3200.

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkhoh3w4bbysrit/1_Untouched_Cornwall_Cassope_tiff.TIF

post-23024-0-73645200-1406799704_thumb.j

File 2:

Widefield of Cassiopeia from not-so-dark Wakefield skies, Canon 1100d, 18-55mm lens @ 18mm.  Stack of 30 x 120 second lights, 10 darks, all at ISO 100.

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/96gczdl5mf7l4qb/2_Untouched_wakefield_widefield_cassope_tiff.TIF

post-23024-0-94663800-1406801049_thumb.j

File 3:

Widefield of Andromeda, Canon 1100d, 18-55mm lens @ 55mm.  Stack of 50 x 30s lights and around 30 darks, Can't remember the ISO but I think it was 400.

Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0x4w29m6lojzn4/3_untouched_widefield_M31_tiff.TIF

post-23024-0-56043400-1406800211_thumb.j

Very grateful to anyone who wants to have a go at these, I'd be fascinated to see what you can create, and whether there is actually anything reasonable in the data, or whether I need to completely rethink how I go about capturing it in the first place!

Cheers,

Derek

Hello mate,

I'm in much the same position as you, so can't help much I'm afraid.  I only downloaded GIMP myself a few days back and will try and spend some time on it this weekend.  Sure there are more experienced folks on here up for the challenge, but as I understand you can lighten / darken backgrounds as required using curves etc, which might be all you need.

If I figure out how to do it myself, I'll have a crack at these and post what I manage, though it might not be much better I'm afraid!  Catch up soon mate, Fred

Archived