SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1100D debayered with added cooling, filter wheel and OAG in one unit

Gina

Here is a cross-section of my latest design.  This uses a timing belt and pulleys with the stepper motor mounted on the separator plate.  A timing pulley will run on an axle mounted on the separator plate with the carousel mounted on the boss of the pulley.  The motor is not in this cross-section.  SketchUp model screenshots will follow.

post-13131-0-13943900-1400521131_thumb.p

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are two screenshots of the separator plate with how the mating parts fit marked in.  The motor fitting holes are the large oval hole for the output shaft and boss, a 4mm round hole for one attachment bolt and a curved slot for the other bolt allowing for adjustment for the timing belt tension.

This is from the camera side

post-13131-0-81735800-1400523387_thumb.j

And from the FW side

post-13131-0-06973100-1400523390_thumb.j

In order to contain the camera in a minimal sized box to provide a sealed dry chamber, any unnecessary parts of the camera need to be removed.  That's everything that isn't used for astrophotography.  The whole top section of the camera is redundant except for the on/off and mode switches with the part of the ribbon cable that connects it to the main board.  However, for astro use on/off will be attained by simply turning the power on or off and the Mode can be left at "M".  So the switches may be replaced by solder connections on the ribbon cable which forms the contacts of the switches.

This photo shows the top ribbon cable with all the connections to unwanted parts cut off leaving just the ring of switch contacts and the ribbon to the main board.  Solder has been used to bridge the contacts to emulate the switch moving contacts set to ON and M.

post-13131-0-50348800-1400785678_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

My attempts at debayering 1100D sensors have failed and I've given up on this model :(  To be more precise, my latest attempt at removing the cover glass satisfactorily has failed - some tiny pieces of glass fell onto the imaging surface scratching it.  As a consequence I shall be trying with other models which do not have a cover glass removal problem viz. 450D or 1000D.  Since I don't know which will succeed, I'm leaving the model number out of the title of a new thread "Canon DSLR debayered with added cooling, filter wheel and OAG in one unit" where I shall continue this project account.

Archived