Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arduino IR bulb controller

themaninthesuitcase

I've spent some of my evenings this month working on a bulb controller for my Nikon SLRs.  Time for the project has been sparse but today I finally had a chance to bench test the code, and it works!

The idea is to send a command to say take x exposures y seconds long z seconds apart.  It also can have mirror up mode on or off.

Currently control is just via the serial monitor in Arduino.  Software to manage this is coming for OSX and Windows but for now controlling it via the serial monitor is working!

I've ordered a nano and some vero board to build a final unit now.  

If any one is interested I've posted a 0.1 version of the code to github: https://github.com/themaninthesuitcase/IRCameraBulbController.

I haven't documented the circuits but it's basically the pin 13 onboard LED to show the shutter is open (well mirror really), and pin 9 will have an IR LED and a 330ohm resistor which is what's transmitting the commands to the camera.

Here's a quick video of the bench test happening. I pressed enter to send the command just as the video starts.

I did some work on this again last night.  Controller is working as it should.  I also junked the idea of multiple code repositories for the project as it didn't make much sense to distribute it all separately.  So code here for anyone who's interested https://github.com/themaninthesuitcase/IRCameraBulbController.  The next step will be to implement updates on the progress from the device i.e. I'm on shot 5 of 10 and 30s of 120 in.  This can then be used to set the positions of the progress bars which currently do nothing.

The Nano v3 clone came today to build a final device with, it really is nano sized compared to the Uno.  Annoyingly I wasn't paying attention when I ordered the vero board, so while it's the perfect size, the tracks run the wrong way.  Will order some more tomorrow.  Bit annoying as I was hoping to have this made this evening so I could start to use it next clear skies (well once I work out how to drift align).

What Nikon are you controlling? Some of the newer Nikons 7100 etc will allow long bulb exposures (ie >30s) older ones won't.

What length bulb exposures are you getting (more than 30s)?

I'm currently using 'Control My Nikon' software vwhich allows upto 30s via USB and longer if I use a separate prog/timer.(MC-36).

Archived