Equatorial platform?

I have a Skywatcher 300 flextube auto Dob, and I am getting a Canon 1000D for deep sky imaging, and I wondered if anyone has tried the Watch House Equitorial platform for exposures up to 5 minutes, and what sort of results should I expect? any help would be greatly appreciated

Charlie

I assume you are talking about this:

The Watch House Equatorial Platform - equatorial-platforms-uk

Looks like a nicely turned piece of equipment, however I dont know whether you would be able to get 5min exposures. 5 minute exposures are difficult with EQ mounts let alone anything else.

The issue I have, with this, is that you are only relying on a compass to point you North whereas you will need fairly accurate polar alignment for astrophotography. I cant see how this can be achieved with this set up.

It looks like it essentially gives you a clock drive, which is fine, but again for this to work accurately you need accurate polar alignment. This is difficult without a polar scope.

That isnt to say it isnt any good. It might be worth a punt if the price is right but be warned you will only be limited to short exposure lengths.

HTH

I have come across some pics taken with dobs on EQ platforms but as Digz states it is a whole different ball game when you look a long exposure imaging. I think the main idea behind these platforms is to allow dob owners the versatility of a large aperture at a competitive price while allowing the user up to a hr of tracking at high magnifications.

Here is a DIY alternative for you. The engineering concept is very sound and the build seems relatively easy. Instead of a mechanical drive, the designer uses the weight of the scope to compress a bladder and uses a precise valve to control flow and therefore RA motion.

He claims very nice results with it - I can't say some of the other stuff on his website is as useful (some weird stuff there), but the engineer idea seems very interesting.

McCreary Mount Website

Dan

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to take shorter exposures, and do more of them. I will experiment with the polar alignment, and probably find a fixed place to mount the scope for accuracy. I will post my results (good or bad!)

Charlie

Archived