NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGE Tripod problem SOLVED!!!

Ad Astra

Hi Gang!

Thanks to some nice folks on the "CGE-Uncensored" group on Yahoo, I have solved my problem of the CW shaft (and 20 kg of counter weights!) hanging - not over the tripod leg as they are supposed to do - but between the legs. This made the rig rather unstable and I was afraid to mount my long refractor on the mount this way.

For those of you not familiar with this beast -The clever designers at Celestron built their flagship mount with a beefy tripod, topped by an 8-inch tall pier extension which contains the electronics package, then the EQ head is supposed to sit on top of that. The electronics pier has three bolt holes around the top - 120 deg. apart, just as you would expect - and three more holes around the bottom - and the tripod has just three tapped holes for the bolts to go into - easy right???

Ah, but the EQ head that bolts onto the TOP of the Electronics pier has SIX tapped holes that can accommodate the bolts. This allows you to attach the EQ head either in the (very stable) CW shaft over the tripod leg position - or in the crazy, dangerous, and unstable position with the CW shaft and weight between the tripod legs. In my more southerly location (34-degrees), this put the counterweights out beyond the triangle of support provided by the three legs. I've had this thing for a week and haven't put my refractor on it yet :D

I had nightmares about testing it out, only to see my precious smash onto the tiled concrete patio where I observe! :(

The baby is all assembled properly now... all I need is for the rain to stop. This cloud curse is really bad - we've had as much rain in the last week as we get in six months (three inches of wet stuff!!! Ewww!)

I'll put up another photo as soon as I mount the Apomax! :p

Dan

Archived