Quick Question from a beginner about to upgrade to my 2nd Scope

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this question gets asked a lot.....

But as a beginner looking to upgrade my 1st scope (a very 80's looking Prinz Astral 500 6") to a Sky Watcher 200p EQ5 which I have been told is a good scope to get for viewing Planets and DSO's alike.

I was wandering whether it is a necessity to have a motorised Sync Scan or equiv mount if I decide to branch out to Astro Photography.

At this stage I have researched a great deal into the scope itself, but also admire greatly the pictures posted of various DSO's and the incredible detail you can get with a modest setup.

Any advice would be very welcome as I roughly have an initial budget of £500.00 - £600.00 for the scope and mount.

Many Thanks for reading this my first post :D

Steve

You will have to have a motorised mount for astrophotography. The scope has to accurately track the object that you are photographing. You need the motors to do this.

The Synscan system is I believe a goto system, probably makes it easier to locate those slightly more difficult and very dim objects.

You will still have to perform an accurate alignment of the mount and scope. You could use a set of dual motors for the job, somewhat less in cost and the minimum necessary.

Most it seems go for the synscan system, there is another, just no idea what it is called.

By the way the mount needs to be stable for AP and the 200P on the EQ5 may mean the mount is not stable enough. For getting started probably OK to learn on but the HEQ5, EQ6 would be the preferred mount

I'd advise you to read Steve's Making Every Photon Count before spending any money. The wrong mount would be a terrible start and I'd consider this the minimum;

Skywatcher - Skywatcher HEQ5 SynTrek

The GoTo version is, though, much to be preferred because taking out the camera to use an EP to find your object mght not seem like a big deal ... till you start to take flats and spend ten minutes looking for fine focus and then it does matter!!

Imaging is all about mount, mount, mount.

Olly

Archived