collimation offfset

This is a photo of the collimation through a cheshire of my Heritage 130p, as can be seen the offset of the secondary miiror is quite large, is this correct.

Any comments would be appreciated. As I am struggling to get a good focus using a 3x Tal barlow.

post-23665-133877547887_thumb.jpg

it loosk about right to me though it seems in the wrong direction compared to the focuser. I'd have expected the focuser to be more or less in line with the Cheshires corsshair thats at the almost 1 o clock position but that may be just down to the pic.

Alternately it may be a bit out of line with the focuser - in the pic it looks a bit too far to the left with respect to the focuser but the offset seems ok with respect to the primary mirror. Its about what I would expect to see.

I;d think a 3x Barlow woulkd be pushing the scope a bit too hard, remember the more mag you apply the more jitterey the view will be and the tougher the scope will be to get a focus.

Do you mean the offset should be in line with mirror support arm, I just had the cheshire twisted around at any angle not lining up with the support arm. If I line up the cross wires vertically in relation to the arm the appear to be central on it.

I twisted the photo for clarification.

Your axial collimation looks good. Your secondary mirror alignment under the focuser can be improved but correcting this error will not solve your focusing problem.

Jason

post-17988-133877547912_thumb.jpg

Because the secondary mirror is supported on a single arm to get better alignment would it be a matter of just twisting it as it seems to just be threaded in place. Or does the misalignment not have a great effect on the view through the telescope.

Or does the misalignment not have a great effect on the view through the telescope.

You can leave it as is. In your case, the error I see would have little to no impact on the quality of your view.

Jason

Archived