Cleaning Mirror

How often should you clean your mirror, mine has a few marks and dust on it, but this does not seem to effect the view, When it does need to be cleaned is the mirror removed and how is this done, or is it cleaned insitu in the telescope.

As little as possible, if ever! Only ever clean it if you are absolutely convinced that you need to but you'd be surprised at just how much dust you can get away with.

If you do decide to clean the mirror, you must first remove it from the optical tube and then follow the instructions

Hi there,

Not that long ago I asked the same question and was told the following: DO NOT clean the mirror :(

However, if you really have to there's a good video on YouTube:

regards.

As little as possible, if ever! Only ever clean it if you are absolutely convinced that you need to but you'd be surprised at just how much dust you can get away with.

If you do decide to clean the mirror, you must first remove it from the optical tube and then follow the instructions

LOL, I just recommended your tutorial ^

:(

Dust on the primary mirror obscures very little surface area in proportion to the entire mirror - and first surface coatings and 1/10th wave figures are surprisingly delicate! :) Dust on the eyepieces is much more of a problem!

Best advice is to keep the tube capped properly, and when you really need to clean the mirror ---- It's time to upgrade to a better telescope anyway! :(

Dan

Archived