NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new scope

hi all,just ordered a skymax 127 mak supatrack from FLO after so much possitive reviews of the scope that i had to get one.I was thinking about a reflector but changed my mind due to the collimation which needs sorting every so often.This is my first scope so this scope will give me an easier step into astronomy and later in the future will purchase reflector or bigger compact(if funds allow)

Will let you know how i get on when recieved.

Cheers Dave.

Hi, Dale,

Much of your logic was the same as mine, when I bought the 127.

Though, having now seen it done several times, I suspect that collimation is not nearly such an issue on reflectors as I originally thought, but there's no doubt that a mak is lower maintenance. Not to mention more compact - they are surprisingly heavy for such a small package, though.

I don't propose much imaging for now (well, perhaps some webcam work) on my scope - that can wait for the future, with a better (EQ) mount, and an ED 'frac. But whilst I'm learning, the 127 seems just about ideal to me.

Do buy or make yourself a dew shield, though - you WILL need it!

I think you have made a good choice, and won't regret it.

Ooooh - just wait till you see Jupiter or Saturn :(:D

Archived