DSS and Canon 60D?!

I made it! Converted the images to DNG then used DSS. Here is the gear and settings used.

This are my 1st attempt on imaging so any constructive critics and tips are most welcome. :rolleyes:

Gear used:

Canon 60D

EF 50mm f/1.8

Manfrotto 190xprob and ballhead

Settings:

ISO 800

2.5"

f/1.8

White balance for daylight

Subs for orion: 90

Subs for Beehive:98

Darks: 29

DSS settings:

Threshold moved up till it would detect ~50 stars on the image (read that somewhere). Mosaic mode with 2x Drizzle.

My editing steps:

- Stacked

- Fiddled with curves a bit on DSS

- moved to PS

- cropped

- fiddled with curves and levels to remove a little noise

- save as jpg to upload and here they are :eek:

post-17317-133877537061_thumb.jpg

post-17317-133877537067_thumb.jpg

Hi Paulo,

Glad you got it sorted...

The Nifty 50 really needs stopping down to between f2.8 and f4.0 to give better star shapes... the exact ammount will depend on your particular lens... you can check how far you need to go by placing a bright star towards the corner of the frame and checking with zoomed in liveview... better again if you can do it on a laptop screen...

Apart from that it looks like everything else is pretty well sorted...

Billy...

Another thing: The subs on Orion had the nebula center slightly "burned" (I mean overexposed with loss of details, "burned" is what we call it in Portuguese and I'm not sure it translates). I find it odd for a 2.5" shutter speed. Some of you guys do 5 min subs with guided EQs. How do you achieve that without over exposing the nebula's brighter area?

Archived