NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Noon

Well at long last the sun is out and Ive started clearing my old observatory site ready to erect my new shed. The new shed is going to be polar aligned and I did it the old fashioned way of stick and string :p Got the data I needed from this site http://www.solar-noon.com/sn_form.html which gives a nice calender for solar noon (exact due south). I'm doing this to maximise my southern & eastern viewing space with west obstructed by the house & new extension.

Anyhow brew time over.....off todo more :D

Does that calendar give offsets for what part of the time zone you are in? Or what exact longitude? The local solar noon is the position of the sun at the highest point in its daily path, which varies within the time zone by up to 7.5 degrees. or more when the time zone is wider than 15 degrees.

You just put in your latitude & longitude and the site does the sums then produces a calendar, I got my lat/long via my GPS so I know its accurate. Double checked with the compass to be sure, damned if it was spot on even with local magnetic differences :D

Ya carn't beat a bit of string and a stick :p

Archived