3CCD cameras - why none for astro use?

I keep thinking about getting a CCD rather than my Canon DSLR. The question I keep asking myself is one shot colour (Bayer matrix) or mono with filters. Obviously the latter is better for a given camera, but it takes longer and the price of the filter wheel and filters means that I could afford a far better OSC camera than mono.

Then I thought - why don't the companies make 3CCD cameras? This is the standard for top video cameras, why not for astro use?

3 x CCD cameras do exist. They were popular some time ago, now bayer CCDs do the job at much lower cost than 3 x mono + prism + electronics.

And OSC tend to be cheaper + also on accessories, but they aren't as good as mono in some astrophotographical areas. Going to for example QHY8 with APS-C color sensor (size like in DSLR) will be better than DSLR but if you want to shoot nebulae then it won't be optimal (like mono).

Archived