Weather forecasts?!

Hey guys, I was wondering how does everyone plan an evening or early morning session of star viewing? I'm using the Met Offices app for the iPhone. But I did read on here that they are next to useless. The only thing is that, I go to bed quite late, well about 12am and I have to be up at 5am for work. Now I don't mind getting up an hour early if it will be clear, but obviously if it does turn out cloudy then I've just wasted an hour for nothing. I know weather prediction can't be 100% but some degree of accuracy can be reached surely? Then again when it starts warming up I might just forgo the hassle of sleeping altogether :) hope that makes sense. :)

Dazz

A lot depends on whether you are at the edge of changeable zone or in the middle of a stable one. I am near the high Alps so sometimes we get the mountain weather and sometimes the weather from the Rhone valley. We often manage the best option out of the two but the weatherman has a hard time guessing where the edge will appear. The forecast for this week was awful but we have had a straight run of clear nights. Not complaining!

Olly

Thanks Starship trooper, I've always wondered what that blumming thing was, checking it now and it says my area is fully cloudy. I know for a fact it isn't and I have my telescope set up outside. Oh well, can't win them all eh? :) Olly, I live 30-ish miles East of London, so I am gonna assume thats a stable zone, as in mostly rain or cloud? :)

Dazz

Archived