NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on selling my ST102, shipping recomendations etc.

So as many astronomers say "The best scope is a scope you use" I am intending to sell my existing set up to fund a more portable set up. What I would like advise on is :

The best places to advertise (for UK astronomers)

Best way to ship just the OTA

Best way to ship EQ1/2 (not sure which it is)

Recommended couriers and costs

Any advice on selling second hand so I can give the best service possible

How much more portable do you need Kreggurre?

An st102 on an eq1's not much to lug around really.

How about keeping the telescope & using it on an altazimuth stand if the eq1's not you cup of PG? The st102 makes an excellent portable scope IMO.

Oh yeah, one final point-You can use the eq1 as an alt az mount if you want ease of setup too.

Just a suggestion.

Well It is getting it to Prague that is the issue from the UK, yes the 102 does fit nicely in my hand luggage case but the tripod is the issue. Also as I realise I am going to stick to just observing an EQ is less significant to me, so my plan is to get the Heritage 130p and modify the dob mount so that the upright part can be detached and reattached (I need to find magnets/latches/bolts) meaning that scope and mount can easily fit into a kit bag of some sort.

So if someone can make a case for the ST102 over the 130p optical tube I will reconsider my options. (But from what I read it seems the 130p is equal to it at least)

The dob. mount is potentially a nice portable set up though esp. with my mod plans, as I will have a set up that I can take in hand luggage when I go to places such as texas.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and your suggestion.

Archived