neximage on vista

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

We now have nextimage working on both vista laptops, However they still refuse to talk to each other.

The next thing is the Synscan. I'm using stellarium to hopefully control my scope however those bright sparks at synscan decided to supply a serial cable when most laptops have usb. There seems to be lots of different cables out there, does anyone know where to get the right one??

Regards

Andy

Andy,

In order to try and help you, you need to give us more information. I've posted things to try already, but unless you provide us with the results (such as the IP address and settings on each PC there is little we can offer to try and help resolve the problem.

Andy,

If you click on START > NETWORK do you see the other PC's on your network ?

If not then chances are they are different workgroups. Check this by START > right click on COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES I think by default the workgroup is MSHOME.

One other test is to check the IP settings on each machine. The simple way is click on START and in the search type in CMD - click on the CMD.EXE in the results to launch a DOS box. Type IPCONFIG /ALL (thats IPCONFIG (space) /ALL) and hit return

This will display the settings for each network adapter. Do this on both machines and compare the results. Chances are they will be something like

IP 192.168.0.xxx

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 192.168.0.1

You may find that the first three digits for IP, Gateway and DNS are 192.168.1 as this all depends on the router you have.

If both machines show the same details (other than the IP which should have the last digit different on each machine) then try PINGing each machine. To do this, with the same DOS box open type PING and then the IP address of the other machine (eg PING 192.168.0.5 assuming the other machine has an IP of 192.168.0.5). This should come back with a reply, if not or it shows 4 lost packets then check the firewall settings on each machine.

Hi Malc,

Both machines sent packets to each other & were recieved. So how do I now have stellarium on mutley1 (laptop1) and view & control the scope via andypc (laptop2)?

When I open my network places it shows mutley1 however when I click on it it opens up a printer picture///

Regards

Andy

Andy, this is how I did mine. PC1 is my computer in the house, running vista. PC2 is the remote netbook running win 7.

On PC2 from the START button right click on COMPUTER select PROPERTIES then REMOTE SETTINGS. select the REMOTE tab and under remote desktop select the middle option to use ANY version of RDC. OK or apply that and exit out to the desktop. Open up a DOS box as described above and check the IP address. Then close the box

On PC1 click on START and type in REMOTE. Select REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION from the items found. The RDC log in box will pop up and prompt you to enter the name of the PC etc. Enter the IP address of PC2 and if you have an administrator user account enter that user name and any password (or if you have your account enter those details). Click on CONNECT. You should find that your descktop on PC1 gets replaced with that of PC2 (although it may not show the desktop background image). You should then be able to open programs on PC2.

If you have the scope connected to PC2 and have scope control software on it you should be able to then make the scope move from the keyboard / mouse of PC1

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

I wish I had read this thread before i too purchased the neximage camera damn it!. Piece of junk.

Followed all of the above, next to non responsive it is now.

No sign of the drivers on my Vista-32 laptop.

They wont install,

Vista says the phillips driver was not compatible, great useless typical programming that I quit the IT industry because of.

Anyway, any help appreciated.

The celeston drivers as uknow had 0 size. Another one that i did download from their site also wouldnt install. Actually now the neximage doesnt produce a response from vista when u plug it in, not getting the hardware install anymore either.

At a loss. regret buying the thing.

Glad I didnt buy their telescope, might a had the same problems..

Cheers.

Lee.

Archived