Beginner - any advice?

Hi everyone, I was really interested in space & astronomy as a child, who isn't? But I kind of grew out of it until about three years ago when I heard about a meteor shower on the news, I've watched the Perseids & Geminids yearly since then. Recently thanks to Professor Brian Cox mainly I've become interested in taking the hobby a little further & getting a telescope as I'm a student with a limited budget I was thinking of this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=SW_explorer_130&cat=150

Any advice as to whether or not this would be a suitable and effective telescope for a complete beginner?

I've been looking through books online as well and I saw one called -'Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them' which appeals to me, again any advice or alternative recommendations?

I can see myself being endlessly entertained by looking at the moon alone but I'd like to be able to find some planets etc. as easily as possible. I'm not hugely scientific I'm afraid I'm more interested in the beauty objects up there than anything else.

Thanks.

hello and welcome to sgl. you have chosen a fine scope but if you can find the extra £40 this one is better Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P, if you can't no matter the 130 is a very good starter scope as you can see from the reviews. I have never read the book but I can tell you that many people here rave about it and the general consensus is that its a must have for small telescopes. welcome to sgl and I look forward to hearing about your first light with your new scope

Thanks Rowan! Wasn't expecting such a quick response. That's great advice, I'll order the book & give the telescope a little more thought, as I said though I'm a poor student so it may have to be the 130! Thanks again I'll let you know how I get on, I can't wait!

Archived