Help choosing equipment for me as i have mobility problems

Hi, i'm sure your sick of the newbie posting the usual question which scope should I buy. Well that's exactly my question.

I do however have a slight twist in the question?

As i'm confined to a wheelchair with only functional use of my left arm i need a setup which is as automated as possible.

i'm looking for a good allrounder with a budget of £500. i've got a panasonic gh1 micro 4/3 camera which i'd like to be able to take pics with as well.

the research i've done leads me toward the Celstron Nexstar 4se with the ccd Nex Image PC adapter/software.

Any advice or suggestions/help you could give me would be great.

thanx

I think something like a Nexstar would be good or perhaps a short refractor. Bear in mind even the Nexstar 4SE is heavy(ish) and of course you need two hands usually to get the scope on the tripod. Not sure what I would reccommend.

Hi Fozzylou,

I also have mobility probs and I am a wheelchair user. I have got a similar thread going in EQUIPMENT HELP>WHICH SCOPE WITH A DIFFERENCE.

Everyone is really helpful. I think I'd have to agree with Astrobaby and say a Celestron Nexstar 4se. Really easy to set up and use apparently.

Let me know how you get on,

Ed

the other way to set up is using something like a mintron camera on the of your scope and then relaying the images to your computer and controlling it fro there . I am not saying you should do that, as its going to add to cost but it increases whats possible with astronomy from an armchair. Another way to go is to rent time at some of the observatory's wher you can see everything at your computer and collect data using their equipment which you can process at home. As I said just a few things to think about.

Archived