NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HD for Flea3

johnh

I need a new external 1TB HD and am not very computer literate, my old HD had poor write speeds so I got 30fps at 16bit with Flea3 while others with same computer/laptop specs (Vista-USB2) get 50+fps.

What 3.5" HD give the fastest write speeds and can I connect HD to my Laptop via firewire Express34 slot for faster than USB2 speeds?

Any recommendations - Thanks, John.

Anthony Wesley uses USB3 external HDD. On my laptop Ace in 16 bit mode (12-bit in camera) also has problems with speed (related to general laptop performance), but note that those cameras have low dynamic range. Basler Ace with ICX618 has S/N max = 7 bit so recording in 8 or 12 bit will not change anything. I just use 8-bit and I don't have any problems with that.

Yes atm I am imaging lunar/Jupiter in 8bit with F3 (55fps) as it easily out performs DMK firewire. Always thought 16bit overkill but would like to be able to try it.

Once in 16bit I got 60fps but usually 25-35fps most of the time, even though I am not running anything else but the external HD via USB.

John.

Most Sony CCDs can use max around 12 bit dynamic range - even those in 16-bit DS cameras made by Atik, QHY and others (and thats why industry-made cams are 12 bit). Only (some) Kodak CCDs can use the whole 16 bit dynamic range as they have much bigger full well capacity, like for example:

ICX285: 18 000 e- (Atik 314L)

KAF-0402: ~100 000 e- (QSI 504, some SBIGs, small CCD, planetary even :))

Archived