Mount Motor Help

Im getting a Skywatcher Telescope N 150/750 PDS Explorer BD with the Skywatcher NEQ 3 mount and i was just wondering about getting some motors to be able to track objects.

i just wanted to know if any1 knows if there is any systems where the motors can be connected to my laptop and i can control them that.

i noticed some dual axis motors have RJ45 ports so i was thinking that might be a way but im not sure. any help would be nice.

A set of motors will drive the mount ans therefore hopefully track an object.

If you want to control from a laptop then you need more then just motors.

A set of spinning motors has no feed back to a laptop so the laptop cannot control them. A computer scope does not "measure" the motors, they measure the drive cogs and these need optical encoders to be with them.

So you need the motors, cogs, encoders, software drivers for the system and the electronics board to enable translation and communications between the drive section and the laptop. A set of motors, and cogs and optical encoders do not have a clue about the RS232 comminucation protocol or any other.

What happens is that people get a goto system and then use a laptop to provide an alternative control system. The hope being that this alternative provides more functionality as it has at its disposal a much bigger processor, operating system and memory then the goto handset provides.

Archived