NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR and magnifications?

scubaian

Themos,

I don't have a very powerful telescope, therefore the eye pieces and the magnification they bring will benefit any pictures i take. I don't know what magnification i'd get just using the scope and camera, therfore i'd like to use the lenses also?

You're assuming a lot - and what makes sense depends a lot on what you're trying to photograph (if it's the moon, prime focus will usually do fine. If it's planets, then a cheap SPC900N webcam plus adapters will make more sense. If it's deepsky objects, you don't want another image scale, you want as little extra magnification to catch faint objects with a good signal-to-noise ratio).

I don't know if i need the eyepiece in the optical train, just want to know how to set up my camera so that the eye pieces are in use to magnify any image.

There are several methods. Almost no one uses the ones that use eyepieces in between - if you want another image scale, you usually use a 2" barlow or Powermate and not an eyepiece (all you then need is a 2" nosepiece on that T2-thread adapter.

That's because eyepiece projection is really only useful at very large image scales (there are many aberrations in most cases when the magnification factor is too small), and at these image scales people these days tend to use a webcam plus a barlow instead.

Afocal photography means putting a camera *plus* its lens focused at infinity in front of the telescope plus eyepiece and taking a picture of whatever comes out of the eyepiece, but that's also become fairly unpopular. That rarely uses T2-adapters like yours (directly to the camera), although some lens fittings go to T2 and some eyepieces do accept T2 as well.

If I were you, I'd just take pictures of the moon first with what you have and then figure out what you want to do later, rather than buy lots of stuff first and figuring out what they do later.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived