aligning a jessups 1100 red dot

Dear friends

New to the sight

my friends son was bought a jessops 1100 102 by his father (they are seperated) I am trying to help him to use the telescope as he is very enthusiastic and like most 12 year olds lacks patience!

From my amateur position I can tell it is not viewing the same area that the red dot is pointing at and I do not know how to align the scope

I know this is not a great telescope but its what he has so I want to help him enjoy it

Many thanks

Teach peace

Andy

ps. this is his account that I have created for him :)

Hi Andy and Dan... welcome to SGL...

The easiest way to align the finder is during daylight. Pick something a long way away from you, and a long way away from the sun (DO NOT point the scope at the sun), a streetlight, or a fence post, chimney etc... using the largest numbered eyepiece (lowest magnification) centre the object, then adjust the finder so that it points at the same object. You can refine this, by using a high power (lower number) eyepiece and adjust again.

# 1100mm Focal length

# 102mm objective diameter

# Red dot finder scope

# 3x Barlow lens supplied

# 6mm, 12.5mm & 20mm eyepieces included

# Maximum magnification of 400x

Looking at the specs... the 3x barlow is just going way too far (excepting possibly with the 20mm, but it may not be a good view anyway). The max mag specified is not going to be usable. You realistic maximum is about 200x, and your 6mm will get close enough to that.

I hope that's of some help.

Archived