NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Luminance Filter

I read an article somewhere that made the statement that some people doing LRGB imaging do not use the L filter in order to get some IR data as CCDs are sensitive in IR.

Does anyone here do this?

Another thing do any of you use a "standard" LP filter (with IR/UV block) for Luminance instead of the supplied one that comes with the set.

cheers Pete

With refractors it depends on the colour correction, many apochromats start to diverge in the far red so you need IR blocking to keep tight stars.

However, some - the FSQ springs to mind - are well corrected to 900-1000nm, and can make use of the near-IR sensitivity of some CCDs (e.g. the Kodak KAF series are very red-sensitive, so there's still a lot of signal)

I've had more success in capturing detail using IR742 for "L" rather than the "L" filter, which I was lead to believe is effectively an IR/UV block filter only:icon_scratch:, or switch and then use IR742 for "R" and the "L" for strangely "L":D

Archived