NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter on 10/10/10

DarkerSky

Following on from Chris's superb sketch and description, here is Jupiter some 30 minutes earlier with my paltry effort.

16" x215 magnifcation

Seeing II-III

System I @ 138 degrees

System II @ 328 degrees

Jupiter10Oct.jpg

Io and Io's shadow were in transit across the disc over the SEB. Io itself was noted as an indistinct spot on the SEB midway between Io's shadow and the CM. The SEB itself remains faint and fairly void of detail, other than a darker area to the left of the CM.

The NEB, by contrast, was once again rich with detail. Two dark ovals close to the CM were the most obvious features in the northern component of the NEB. The southern component of the NEB above them was dominated by a white rift with a thin dark edge on its southern side. Towards the right, the NEB seemed to buldge to the south and carry a grey protrusion deep into the EZ.

In the EZ itself the protrusion marked the edges of two large ovals. To the left was a very distinct oval, but no colour was noted. To the right was a less well defined oval.

Just across the CM in the EZ was a distinct grey horizontal feature in the EZ, which seemed to hover close to the NEB. The rest of the EZ was quite grey and dull.

NTB, STB and SSTB were all broken in places with darker areas. This was especially noted in the NTB.

Seb

we got pretty much identical features there, i like that!

The protrusion into the EZ to the right of the large oval interested me, it was pointing right towards Io's shaddow and it looked to me like the oval was pulling it up out of the NEB, what do you thinnk?

By the way, you do yourself a dis-service, your sketch is excellent!

Archived