Advice on 30/32mm ep for DSO's

Thanks John for you advice, you've been a great help so far but could you say that for half the cost the revelation is a good buy?? - perhaps 10% less performace from it than the panaview? or would you say more?

I'm sorry but I can't really put a value on it as different people are able to tolerate different amounts of abberation, ie: it bothers some people more than others.

Being devils advocate, you could argue that, if the outer 30% of the FoV of a budget 70 degree eyepiece is poor, then you might as well buy a decent 50 degree eyepiece !.

Up to around £100 I reckon you get what you pay for with eyepieces. Above that the performance increments get smaller so a £400 eyepiece will only perform slightly better than a £200 one - doesn't seem to stop some folk wanting that difference though !.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point John, just being reading that you don't get much advantage with a 2" eyepiece in a fast scope (edges of most 2" ep's, upto 30-40% become distorted) - therefore am i best going for a Meade 32mm super plossl or something similar in the 1.25" fit?

I have the 2" GSO 32mm which I use in a f5 SW200. It's a really good EP and well worth it's price (although I did pick mine up Second hand).

There is often a lot of fuss made about EPs and fast scope and a whole, eroneous, school of thought that says you have to have expensive EPs with. I'm afraid that this is often very misleading!

For the price, you're not going to go wrong with either of the two originally suggested. You *may* find a little distortion round the edges - depends how over critical you are. At best you wont even notice, at worst it'll be barely noticeable.

Archived