NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second Mosaic Attempt (same error!)

AndyUK

Hi Neil - Thanks for the tip - I've had another look at it and tried taking just the first minute of the 2nd AVI to see if that helps. It did, but unfortunately not enough to plug it.

The drift is actually so bad from start frame to end frame that Registax actually had a bit of a problem stacking it. I suspect there was a setting on there somewhere I didn't use of missed, but this was why I tried Avistack (which for me I found was better for lunar AVI's...)

I suppose I could try and patch in a pane from my previous mosaic, but I discovered from that experience that the moon has a slight wobble which means the "patches" have to be very slightly rotated in order to fit, and of course I'd need to try and match the exposure (sharpness?) as well... Maybe something for a cloudy night (and we seem to be heading for a few of those at the moment :()

I did notice that the first AVI showed relatively little drift, but all the others thereafter were pretty bad - I had a good play with backlash settings last night so hopefully that'll also help for next time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Geoff - As I mentioned, it's actually easier doing it than it is to explain it, and that link to John's sticky on lunar webcam imaging contains some extremely good tips. Good luck to you to and hope to see some of your webcam images soon too!

Hi Peter - Yes, I find creating mosaics strangely therapeutic, yet frustrating when you find out later you missed some bits! However, that won't happen next time now I know about the imerge trick :D

Those little cameras are excellent value for money, although bear in mind you also then need to buy the nosepiece and preferably a UV/IR block filter as well. However, once you've got it, it will provides hours of fun...!

Archived