NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 896 aka little piggy

glennbech

Hi!

It's been a while since I have posted images. That is about to change if weather permits. I've been spending some time on a DIY project that shortens my setup time a lot. I have also fixed a problem with my mounts power that makes it reliable and sorted out some computer problems that were an annoyance.

I also got an Astronimik CLS filter from Ian king this week, and I am amazed. Most of the skyglow noise is in the red channel, along with Nebulae data. All I do now is to perfect alignment so I can go to near 10 minute subs, and get myself a "run-all-night" power supply for my camera.

I plan to spend this "season" with my 8" Newtonian and the modified Canon 10D. I hope to be able to do "close ups", and zoom in on the objects that normally get attention from the amazing imagers that frequent this forum with wide field setups.

I wasn't sure whether to post this image ,or collect more data first, but got trigger happy. I guess I need to double the number of subs, and maybe add some 8-10 minute ones. I had to post this image in portrait mode. In landscape I cannot make it look anything else than the "little piggy nebula" :-)

There are a couple of problems with the data. There is a north/south gradient that I had to remove, and some trailing in the north/south direction that I have to sort out.

I'm looking forward to the long & cold norwegian nights, and it feels great to be out there again :D

Details

This is NGC 896, the "bottom" of the Heart nebula in Cass. Up is north. It is the part of the nebula discovered first as it is the brightest part.

13x360 second exposures @ ISO 800

Processed in PS3 & PixInsight LE

Noels actions

3905843-8234264-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1282500129802

Archived