New TEC110...

Check this one out and put it on your Christmas list;

Telescope Engineering Company

It is not yet in production, I gather, since the first set of lenses didn't met the house standard. They are redoing them. But 110mm in a fast triplet of TEC quality has to be very interesting either to well-heeled imagers or roving visual types. Dave, the guy who sold me our TEC140, has his name down for one of these. Their quality is pure gold, that is for sure.

Olly

'...I by the tide of Humber would complain.' I like Marvell. (Though as I'm sure you know, it is 'world' and not 'gold..')

To be fair, TEC are not expensive by comparison with their few rivals. The 140 is half the price of a six inch Takahashi. Their quality is not to be beaten anywhere but, yes, it is madness I know. But you're a long time dead, as they say.

Olly

Indeed, and a very useful thing it is. I had an English teaching colleague caled Mike Wilkinson so seeing your name on the forum made me jump the first time.

Olly

There's swarms of them! And they BREED!!!;)

I remember when I drew up a book proposal for Wiley in 1994, one of the reviewers was Michael Wilkinson. This is one reason for being explicit about the h.f. initials

Just one comment on scopes using oil filled objectives rather than air spaced - yes, they have a higher transmission, but they're prone to needing very expensive return-to-factory maintainance at regular intervals as the oil leaches out from the cell, affecting the spacing and centering of the components. Degradation of optical performance is slow but inevitable.

Archived